Christmas Pickled Pork
12 November 2017
- 1 Large pickled pork (5-7kg)
- 2 L Coca-Cola
- 0.57 L Water
- 1 Bay leaf
- 5 Cloves
- 2 Tbs vinegar
- 2 Tbs dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp mustard
- 100 g Glacé cherries
- 425 g Tinned sliced pineapple
Use a large pot (we use my mum’s favourite pot, Gregory).
- Simmer the pickled pork for 40 minutes per kg then allow it to cool.
- Remove from the pot and peel off the skin. Score the fat with a knife. Decorate with cloves and cover well with a mixture of dark brown sugar, mustard powder and grated orange peel.
- Place pineapple rings over the pork and fix on with toothpicks, putting a cherry in the middle of each ring.
- Bake at 180*C until the glaze is glassy and the pineapples are slightly browned (about ¾ hr), basting occasionally with fresh orange juice.
- Serve hot or cold with potato casserole, peas, carrots and courgettes or baked prosciutto wrapped asparagus spears. Use the juice in the pan as gravy.