Ottolenghi's hot smoked trout with fennel, peas and goat's cheese
1 May 2021
- 75 ml olive oil, plus extra to finish
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 g picked dill leaves
- 1 pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and very thinly shaved
- 100 g soft rindless goat's cheese, broken into chunks
- 1 ¾ tsp fennel seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 1 ½ tsp grated lemon zest
- 40 g pea shoots
- 4 hot-smoked trout fillets
- 150 g peas (frozen are fine), blanched for a minute, refreshed and drained
- 1 tsp pink peppercorns, crushed
- Put the oil, lemon juice and dill in a large bowl, add half a teaspoon of salt and some black pepper, and whisk. Add the fennel, stir and leave to marinate for about 30 minutes. Put the cheese in another bowl and mix in the fennel seeds, lemon zest and an eighth of a teaspoon of salt.
- To serve, add the pea shoots to the large bowl, flake the trout into 5cm pieces and add these, too, with the peas and peppercorns. Mix gently, transfer to a serving dish, dot cheese on top, drizzle with oil and serve.